We circulate an e-bulletin to the membership weekly containing blogs and articles, opportunities for involvement and influencing, membership events and news from around the country, recruitment, research, policy updates and much more.
To subscribe, become a member for free.
- Monday the 8th of August 2022
- Monday the 1st of August 2022
- Monday the 25th of July 2022
- Monday the 18th of July 2022
If you are a member and you want to place an item in our bulletin, please the submission guidelines below and then contact us at email@example.com.
What is the NSUN bulletin?
The NSUN bulletin is a weekly email sent to all members (usually on Mondays) with items sourced from within and beyond the membership, for:
- Sharing articles, blogs, vlogs, podcasts, events, news, petitions, involvement opportunities, surveys, research, and jobs
- Sharing NSUN’s work/news, as well as opportunities with NSUN
- Linking/networking members (connecting individuals to groups and vice versa)
- Amplifying members’ work or campaigns
- Reaching those without social media.
Its aim is not to be an exhaustive list of events, research and opportunities, but to inform and circulate knowledge to our members. Inclusion of an item is not an endorsement from NSUN of the item or its source. Sometimes, we may include posts that you (and we) may not necessarily agree with. We receive many requests to include items and the wording of items are almost always those of the source, rather than the NSUN team, though we try to summarise just the key information in order to keep the bulletin as accessible as possible. We aim to give members a choice of what they do or do not want to engage with.
What can we include?
We get a large amount of requests to include items, and we limit the number of items in each section to ensure the bulletin is of a manageable length and readable to members. This means that we cannot accept every request to place an item in the bulletin.
Overall, we aim to prioritise survivor- or lived-experience-led items, and may not be able to run items that do not meet this description. We can only run a particular item for two weeks, with the exception of items about NSUN’s work or events which may stay in the bulletin for longer.
It is free to place an item in the NSUN bulletin.
We reserve the right to not publish all items submitted. We may not be able to enter into correspondence with you about why your item was not included.
Submitting an item
The bulletin is split into sections of items every week. Please find below the specific submission guidelines for items in each section. To submit an item to the bulletin, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with a (roughly) 100 word summary for your item before 9am Monday to be included in that Monday’s bulletin. Otherwise items will be included in the following Monday’s bulletin.
Please note that we can hyperlink to webpages but not add file attachments like word documents and pdfs, and the item needs to be in plaintext form (i.e. not an image with text) for accessibility reasons.
Articles, blogs, vlogs, and podcasts
- In this section, we aim to include a maximum of six articles/blogs etc per week.
- The main focus of this section is first person pieces written or made by people with lived experience of mental ill-health, trauma, or distress, or of marginalisation that intersects with mental health.
- We may include articles/blogs/vlogs etc that are of note or interest to members that are not explicitly written or made by someone with lived experience – usually this will be articles etc about news/relevant policy developments.
Events and membership news
- In this section, we include approximately 13 items.
- We prioritise events and membership news (including campaign actions) from individuals or user-led/grassroots groups rather than larger organisations or institutions.
- We usually only share free events, but may make exceptions in certain circumstances.
- For the ‘creative’ news and events section, the same conditions exist for focusing on initiatives that are user-led, grassroots or survivor-led.
Surveys and involvement opportunities
- In this section, we can include approximately five items.
- We prioritise surveys and involvement opportunities (such as requests for research participants) that are survivor-led or lived-experience-led research, as well as paid opportunities, where participants are offered remuneration for their time and expertise. This means, for example, we may not be able to place items calling for research participants for student projects such as dissertations, of which we receive a very high number.
- If there are too many requests to place items in one week, paid opportunities will be prioritised.
Where else might you be able to submit your request for research participants?
- McPin Foundation research bulletin: https://mcpin.org/involvement-bulletin/
- Survivor Researcher network for research pieces/participation: https://survivorresearcher.net/about-us/srn-newsletter/
- Shaping Our Lives: https://shapingourlives.org.uk/involvement-opportunities-board/
- HEAR Network: https://hearequality.org.uk/our-members/
- Rethink: https://www.rethink.org/get-involved/newsletter/
Jobs and Recruitment
- In this section, we include approximately four items.
- We focus on/prioritise jobs which have direct lived experience of mental ill-health/trauma/distress or other relevant experiences at the heart of them i.e. jobs in DDPOs (Deaf and Disabled People’s Organisations)/user-led organisations connected with mental health
- This means that we may not be able to place adverts for jobs in, for example, NHS Trusts.
We have moved our funding for groups section to a page on our website: https://www.nsun.org.uk/research-resources/funding-for-groups/, but will continue to place items notifying members of new funds in the bulletin when they become available.
*Please note: A maximum of 27 items is allowed between the membership news and events, involvement opportunities, recruitment, and funding to be split up however NSUN sees fit.