NSUN not a service provider, and we cannot take on individual casework. This page lists some forms of support and resources for specific situations relating to mental health such as welfare claims and human rights. We welcome your suggestions for resources to add: please email firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting ‘services directory’ in the subject line. Please note that we aim to only add free resources to the below list.
Mental health services and crisis support
The NHS has a main webpage on mental health with information on urgent support and access to therapies, and organisations such as Mind, Diversity and Ability, and Helplines Partnership have mental health service signposting pages that you may wish to use, but do feel free to get in touch if you would like us to help signpost you to the right people.
Information about human rights and mental health legislation
- Equality and Human Rights Commission
- British Institute of Human Rights: guides collection, rights-based mental health resources, and mental health advocacy and human rights tool
- The Mental Health Act 1983
- Mind’s Legal Line for legal information and advice on mental health related law
- The Equality Advisory and Support Service
Help with finance, welfare claims/appeals, and benefits
- Citizens Advice
- Scope’s advice and support hub
- Money and Mental Health
- How to win a PIP appeal: this page shares advice which could prove useful.
- WCA info: help for advisers assisting people to make a new claim for benefit on the basis of their incapacity for work, and in challenging decisions to refuse, or award a lower rate of, the benefit.
- Diversity and Ability’s Access to Work guide (AtW is a grant that funds practical support if you have a disability, health or mental health condition with the aim to help people start work, stay in work, or move into self-employment).
- Diversity and Ability’s Disabled Student Allowance guide (DSA is a grant for anyone whose ability to access studies is affected by a mental health condition, disability, chronic illness, and/or learning difference).
Healthcare/mental healthcare discussion forums and groups, feedback sites and libraries
- Mental Health Forum (peer support forum)
- The Independent Mental Health Network and their local branches around Manchester and Bristol
- Care Opinion
- Health Talk Online
- Mind’s Side By Side Forum
- Health Boards
- Uncommon Forum
- Critical Mental Health
- Survivor History Group
- Survivor Researcher Network
- Yellow Card Scheme – Website for reporting adverse drug reactions, medical device adverse incidents, defective medicines, and counterfeit or fake medicines within the UK
- Independent April Blog about iatrogenic harm. Adverse side effects causing psychiatric changes from medical treatment including everyday medicines and anaesthetics
- The Patient Experience Library – project that brings together the whole of the UK’s qualitative literature on patient experience
Advocacy and complaints about care/the NHS
- Concerns about NHS care
- The Patient Advice and Liaison Service can help to resolve issues with NHS care
- Complain about the use of the Mental Health Act (Care Quality Commission)
- Advocacy: VoiceAbility
- Advocacy: POhWER