Our members are individuals with lived experience of mental ill-health, distress, and/or trauma, as well as user-led grassroots groups. You can also sign up as a supporter or ally.
Membership is free for individuals and user-led groups. We suggest a donation for allies. You can find out more about the benefits and types of membership and sign up below.
The National Survivor User Network is a network of people who want to change things for the better by coming together to connect, create, and campaign. By joining the network, you will be a member of a unique collective. Our user-led nature (NSUN is run by and for people with lived experience of mental distress) sets us apart from other organisations in the field, and this gives us exceptional insight and authenticity. You can read more about our vision, mission and values here.
- Regular communications to members through a weekly e-bulletin that includes opportunities for involvement and influencing, events, news from around the country, research and policy updates
- Collective responses to policy developments and consultations and the promotion of collective action
- Support, resources and capacity-building for new and existing user-led initiatives and groups
Please note that members can vote in our AGM and currently share liability in the extremely unlikely case of insolvency. Supporters receive all the same communications as members and can attend our AGM but can not vote and do not share liability in the case of insolvency. We are working on removing this liability – you can read more about this here.
Types of membership and sign up
1. Individual member. You become part of the network of people and groups and receive the weekly bulletin full of news and opportunities. You can vote in our Annual General Meeting (AGM) and will share liability (up to the value of £10) in the extremely unlikely case of insolvency (soon to be removed – see above).
“By far leading on consistently and coherently bringing a disparate community together through the bulletin alone. A way to get the feeling of a collective experience even if not on social media through the variety of information and a sense of something big going on…”
2. User-led organisation/group. You become part of a unique network of other groups and can access support for furthering your user-led initiative, including placing items in our weekly bulletin. We can connect you with other groups to facilitate information/best practice sharing. You can vote in our AGM and will share liability (of up to the value of £10) in the case of insolvency.
“NSUN has helped me feel part of a movement, which is vital for sustaining myself and the group as we try to bring about change and serve our community.“
3. Ally organisation. This can include voluntary/public sector groups and higher education institutions or corporate organisations (can not vote in our AGM, and has no liability in the case of insolvency). Allies will be able to link in with our wider membership and increase engagement with the mental health community. We suggest a donation upon joining the network:
- Income under £49,999 – free
- £50k-£100k – £50
- £100k – £499,999 – £100
- £500k – £999k – £250
- Over £1 million – £500
- Over £5 million – £1,000
“I admire the way NSUN champions user-led and user-run organisations in an increasingly difficult climate where large mental health charities tend to edge out smaller independent groups and organisations.“
4. Supporter. This type of membership means you will still receive all the same communications as a standard individual or group member would, and you can attend our AGM, however you can not vote on motions and have no liability in the case of insolvency. This is a temporary membership category and once liability has been removed, supporters will become full members.