Where to go, who to call, where to get information from

Are you concerned about an immediate risk of harm - either to yourself or someone else? Call 999.

NSUN is not a service provider. This page lists various forms forms of support, some concerning mental health crisis, some concerning other needs, such as welfare and rights. Some of these resources are direct points of call. Some others are resources you can use in specific situations, such as mental health and debt, welfare claims and appeals, mental health and human rights.

We welcome your suggestions for resources to add. Please email [email protected], quoting 'help and support page' in the subject line, and do feel free to get in touch if you would like us to help signpost you to the right people - we understand the mental health landscape is huge and messy and it can be tough to know where to start.

Accident & Emergency Departments (A&E)

Go to your nearest hospital with an Accident and Emergency (A&E) Department. In some hospitals, this will be called the Emergency Department.
Qualified staff are on duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They will be able to assess you and give you the appropriate help.

Mental Health Services

If you are already receiving support from mental health services you should have a care plan. This will include details of who you should contact in a crisis.
Can't find your care plan?

      • Is it day time? Contact your our Community Mental Health Team (CMHT)– Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. Ask for your care co-ordinator or the person on duty
      • Is it outside of office hours? Contact your local Home Treatment Team or telephone information or help lines listed below.

NHS mental health services

Find local mental health services on the NHS website.
You can also get mental health advice from NHS Choices.
NHS Direct phone: call new service 111 when you need help fast but it is not a 999 emergency. Calls are free from landlines and mobiles.

The Samaritans

Provide confidential support for people who are experiencing feelings of distress or despair, including those which may lead to suicide. You don't have to be suicidal to call.
Phone: 116123 (UK) 24 hours a day, every day of the year
Samaritans email: [email protected].
Visit your local Samaritans branch for face-to-face support
Samaritans website: www.samaritans.org.uk 

Helplines Partnership

Helplines Partnership is the membership body for organisations that provide helpline services in the UK and internationally. You can search for a helpline in the UK by name, topic area or location.
Phone: 0300 330 7777
Email: [email protected]
Helplines Partnership website: www.helplines.org

Counselling Directory

Counselling Directory only lists counsellors and psychotherapists
who are members of a recognised professional body or those who have sent us copies of their qualifications and insurance cover.
Phone: 0333 325 2500
Counselling Directory website: www.counselling-directory.org.uk


A confidential UK national telephone helpline run by Sane, the mental health charity. Saneline offers practical information, crisis care and emotional support to anyone affected by mental health problems, including families and carers.
Saneline:0300 304 7000 -– 4.30-10.30pm, 365 days a year
Sane website: www.sane.org.uk


Keeps a list of some of the statutory crisis services in England that accept self-referrals. You can read the list online. Go to the website below and click first on 'Information', then on 'Factsheets'. When you see the list of factsheets, scroll down to 'Crisis services' and then click on 'List of crisis services open to self-referrals'. Services in London are listed by borough; services in the rest of England are listed by county and metropolitan area.
Mind website: www.mind.org.uk

Mind InfoLine

Offers advice and support to service users; have network of local associations in England and Wales.Details should be in local directories and libraries.
Call Mind InfoLine: 0300 123 3393/ text 86463 – Monday to Friday 9am - 6pm



A national charity committed to improving the mental health and emotional well-being of all children and young people.
Are you a young person? Call: 0800 1111 / 0800 1111
Are you a parent? Call: 0808 802 5544 / 0808 802 5544
Do you need non urgent, general information? Call general enquiries: 020 7336 8445 / 020 7336 8445
YoungMinds website: www.youngminds.org.uk


Works to help everyone affected by severe mental illness, such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, with a goal of recovering a better quality of life. Rethink provides effective services and support and campaigns for change through greater awareness and understanding.
Open Monday to Friday, 10am to 3pm.
Rethink email: [email protected]
Rethink website: www.rethink.org

Together, working for mental wellbeing

Runs a range of services including advocacy, community support, day.
Together website: www.together-uk.org

Bipolar UK

A support network for people with bipolar disorders.
Bipolar UK phone: 0333 323 3880 weekdays 9am-5pm. This is a call back service. Callers need to leave a message and a member of the Peer Support Team will call back within 3 working days.
Bipolar UK website: www.bipolaruk.org.uk

Hearing Voices Network

Advice and a network of local groups available to people who hear voices, their carers and workers.
Hearing Voices Network Helpline: 0161 834 5768 / 0161 834 5768

National Self Harm Network (NSHN)

NSHN was originally established to build a network of support groups for individuals who self harm and campaign for their rights. Since its founding the charity has grown and evolved. The charity now focuses on support and distraction enabling people to seek alternatives to self harm. NSHN aims to empower individuals to explore reasons for their self harm and to seek.
NSHN Helpline: 0800 622 6000 7pm – 11pm
NSHN website: www.nshn.co.uk

Papyrus - Prevention of Young Suicide

PAPYRUS was founded in 1997 by Jean Kerr, a mother from Lancashire. She and a small group of parents who had each lost a child to suicide were convinced that that many young suicides are preventable. From its beginnings, people have joined the charity which is now the UK-wide membership organisation dedicated to the prevention of young suicide. PAPYRUS membership is open to all who share the belief that young suicide is often preventable.
Papyrus helpline (HOPElineUK): 0800 068 41 41 / 0800 068 41 41 / [email protected]
Papyrus website: www.papyrus-uk.org

Beat - Beating Eating Disorders

Are you an adult? Call 0808 801 0677 3 - 10pm daily
Are you a young person? Call 0808 801 0711 2 - 10pm daily

Beat website: www.b-eat.co.uk

No Panic

Offer support for people experiencing panic attacks, phobias, etc
No Panic Helpline: 0808 808 0545 / 0808 808 0545 – every day, 10am to 10pm
No Panic website: www.nopanic.org.uk

British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)

To find a therapist search the directories:

Cruse Bereavement Care

Promotes the well-being of bereaved people and enables anyone bereaved by death to understand their grief and cope with their loss. As well providing free care to all bereaved people, the charity also offers information, support and training services to those who are looking after them.
Cruse Bereavement Care website: www.crusebereavementcare.org.uk/

Hypnotherapy Directory

Hypnotherapy Directory was launched to connect individuals with qualified hypnotherapists in the UK. They offer information about what hypnotherapy is, how it can help, articles written by professionals and the latest hypnotherapy news.
Hypnotherapy Directory website: www.hypnotherapy-directory.org.uk

Other services and sources of support or advice

Money and Mental Health

People with mental health problems are three times as likely to be in problem debt: Money and Mental Health is here to change that. An independent charity, it is committed to breaking the link between financial difficulty and mental health problems. Money and Mental Health conducts research, develops practical policy solutions and works in partnership with both those providing services and those using them to find what really works.

Find out more about Money and Mental Health's campaigning and practical solutions on their website


Scope is the disability equality charity in England and Wales. They campaign for a fairer society (based on the social model of disability) and provide help and support. 

Visit Scope's Advice and Support hub for help with benefits, work and careers, money, housing, assistive technology, legal advice, travel and more.

Alcoholics Anonymous

Offer advice and support on alcohol issues
Alcoholics Anonymous Helpline: 0800 9177 650
Alcoholics Anonymous website: www.alcoholics-anonymous.org.uk


Offer advice and provide services for people using drugs and those who work with them.
Open 10am - 5.30pm weekdays.
Release phone: 020 7729 9904 / 020 7729 9904 or 020 7603 8654 / 020 7603 8654 – evenings, weekdays and holidays
Release website: www.release.org.uk


Provides information for prisoners who have been released from prison.
NACRO Helpline: 0800 0181 259 / 0800 0181 259 (freephone)
NACRO email: [email protected]

Alzheimer's Society

Helpline 0300 222 1122
Information about Alzheimer's Disease and dementia issues
Alzheimer's Society website: www.alzheimers.org.uk

Community Legal Advice

Free and confidential advice service paid for by Legal Aid. They can help with problems with debt, housing, employment, education and benefits and tax credits.
Community Legal Advice Helpline: 0345 345 4 345 Monday to Friday 9am to 8pm  Sat 9am to 12.30pm
Civil Legal Advice website: https://www.gov.uk/civil-legal-advice

Citizens' Advice Bureaux (CAB)

Offer advice and information on issues such as benefits, health services, housing, consumer/employment rights, etc.
CAB website: www.citizensadvice.org.uk


The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) should now be available in every NHS trust in England to deal with any concerns or complaints for service users, relatives and carers.
PALS website: www.pals.nhs.uk

Complaints about the NHS

Serious concerns about NHS care can be directed to:

      • http://www.england.nhs.uk/contact-us/complaint/
      • The complaints service at the NHS trust concerned (in the first instance: details should be available locally);
      • The Health Service Ombudsman: initial enquiries can be made to 0345 015 4033
      • Your local MP (via constituency surgery or by phone: details locally) or council member.

Care Quality Commission (CQC)

CQC checks all hospitals in England to ensure they are meeting national standards, and share its findings with the public.
CQC website: http://www.cqc.org.uk/.

National Advice Service

National Advice Service phone: 020 8974 6814

Discussion forums / feedback sites / libraries

Help with welfare claims and appeals

      • How to win a PIP appeal: This website shares advice which could prove useful. We have not tested this resource but if anyone has please let us know.
      • WCA info: help for advisers assisting people to make a new claim for benefit on the basis of their incapacity for work, and in challenging decisions to refuse, or award a lower rate of, the benefit.
      • This Disability Rights guide contains advice / stories / resources concerning employment, education, welfare support and online resources. The document is aimed at people with newly acquired conditions

Help / information about Human Rights and mental health legislation